Featured

We are going COM

Hello guys

We just completed 10 years of blogging with WORDPRESS & it was a great experience! Although we’ve started the blog ONLY to vent out our frustrations with Windows 7 OS, over the years we’ve discussed many other technology areas.

Well…err hmm, about many things those WERE not significant at all, however many of you have seen them ;) . Now you may ask why switching from a life long free blog to a COM (commercial site). Answer is simple, WE are going to have few advertisements running over the blog, which might fetch us some income!

We’ve been enthusiastically doing many charities and currently planning to setup an educational fund for under privileged expat students in Kuwait. We will utilize every penny that comes through the ads for this purpose.

So if you find an interesting ad on our pages, please check them out. We’ve never commercialized any of our efforts & will remain to provide you the hacks/solutions free.

regards,

Windows 10 | Mobile HotSpot| We (don’t) have a solution

Hello guys

Cannot get the mobile HotSpot fully functional on Windows 10? Were you searching for a single stop solution, then you are at a very wrong place(?) move on. We are going to discuss about a strange behavior associated with, else almost a perfect solution provided by Microsoft for tethering the available internet connectivity.

At our corporate LAN, we use two different sets of IP addresses. One provided by the ISP (front facing) and the Class C IP addresses for the domain member computers and other devices.

We had a sysadmin laptop that is configured to use internet without filtering (AKA Watch Guard Edge device) by letting the traffic through the ISP router & a Class C IP address for LAN connectivity. Most of the sysadmins use the same settings for ease and had some difficulties with this particular laptop.

Mobile HotSpot starts, however the connected devices do not get IP addresses issued and no internet connectivity. Resetting IP & Winsock and windows provided troubleshooters didn’t fix anything & on a “divine” call we decided to change the IP addresses used.

For example, We had

168.x.x.204/255.255.255.224 (ISP) and 131.x.x.46/24 (LAN, don’t frown, we had these public IP ranges used within the LAN, dating back to 1990s) for the single network interface which didn’t work for Mobile HotSpot, so we changed the ISP IP address with an IP from another set of readily available public IPs and viola! the Mobile HotSpot sprang to life immediately.

We did route table matches between both IP settings and couldn’t find any differences, however, the first setup completely failing to issue IP addresses & connectivity. As we failed do the maths, gave it a rest and started “enjoying” the internet. Yay! So if you are in the same situation and have spare IP addresses, give it a try.

regards,

rajesh

Oracle SQL Developer 19.x.x & ORA-20001: Oracle error -6502: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small has been detected in fnd_global.set_nls

Hi guys

Okay, so you switched to Oracle SQL Developer for the main reason that the suite is from Oracle & it is absolutely free and putting loads of efforts to get accustomed with certain “JAVA” platform limitations (as per developers).

Everything is fine until you start getting “ORA-20001: Oracle error -6502: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small has been detected in fnd_global.set_nls” or errors those WERE never happening while you were trying to execute years old PL/SQL blocks which were always completing successfully using Quest TOAD or at SQL prompt itself.

Before scavenging through your archives to find the Toad Installer for a re-installation, give the following exercise a try.

Applicable to Windows ONLY!

Go to user specific “AppData\Roaming” folder, eg: C:\Users\rajesh\AppData\Roaming

and delete both the folders, “SQL Developer” & “sqldeveloper”

Usually whenever you download and start the latest version of SQL Developer, the new version checks for the older versions under Roaming profile & if found, prompts the user asking whether the existing preferences should be copied (that includes already saved connections and other setting you may have made), which may cause errors like the ONE I have had once after migrating 19.2.x to 19.4.x

Regardless whether you were using previous versions or NOT, deleting all folders for “SQL Developer” under the roaming profile will force the latest version of Oracle SQL Developer to start afresh & most probably will take care of unreliable error messages (Confirmed by running the PL/SQL blocks without outputting the same errors using Quest TOAD)

Thank me later ;)

rajesh